I’ve been sharing with you different steps on how to make a career change in the last few blogs. Today, I’ll share with you 5 tips to be successful at changing your career. Just remember, it takes patience and time to make any major change in life, and a career change is no different.
- Make a list of what you like and don’t like about your current position: Look at what you are doing at work that makes you happy. Is it, flexibility on how you do your job, the freedom to work from home, cross department interaction? Then, look at what you are doing at work that doesn’t make you happy. Your boss, your colleagues, bored with the type of work?
- What else do you need: Do you need to go back to school, or certification, look at your skills and frame them differently on your resume? Really think through what you have or need to make that career change.
- Network: Reach out to your network and ask them to help you find that dream job. See if they know someone that can help you get an interview or get your resume in front of the hiring manager. Be careful not to burn any bridges at your current job until you’re ready to move on.
- Contact headhunters: A reputable headhunter only gets paid when they find you a job, and they are paid by the employer. You’re also likely to get a lot of good advice. After all, they know what companies are looking for right now.
- Be willing to take a step back: You might have to take a demotion or a pay cut in order to change careers. Sometimes, it’s necessary to take a small step back to eventually take a greater step forward.
Few things will change your life more than a change of career. It’s worth the effort to find a job that you love. After all, you spend 40-plus hours each week doing it. Use these 5 tips to help you get excited about Mondays again! Your worth it!
Please reach out if you would like help figuring out your next career, happy to help!