Are you stuck trying to figure out what career you want? In a job that you aren’t happy with? Or do you have a hard time getting there? Whatever the case, you are probably frustrated, maybe unhappy and that is understandable.
There is no better time than NOW to get it done and these 3 steps will help get you started:
- Identify careers you like. Brainstorm with family, friends to figure out different types of careers that interest you. Make a list.
- Writing them helps to make it more real.
- It’s important to include all careers that interest you, regardless of how others feel about them. Write what gets you excited!
- Determine the drivers for your interest. After writing the list, it’s time to shortlist! Which ones fit your lifestyle, how you like to work, and what you are willing to do. Be honest with yourself and identify the real reasons you’re interested.
- Is it because a family member said “You’d be great at this!” or an advisor strongly suggested this path? Remember, this is based on what YOU want to do. Forget what others tell you for a second.
- Do you see yourself in a career because of how much money you can make? Certainly, it would be great to earn a good paycheck, but think long and hard about that being your main motivation.
- At the end of the day, pick what makes you happy. The last thing you want is to be miserable 40 + hours a week. The larger the paycheck does not always translate into the more job satisfaction.
- Find multiple options for getting there. Now, it’s time to get creative. How do you plan on launching that dream career?
- Use the internet to learn as much as you can about each of the paths on your shortlist. Think about each one, imagine doing this type of work and will it make you happy at the end of the day.
- The traditional method is to pursue additional education. Find courses and degree programs that can give you the necessary training. Having the know-how to go along with the interest is a great combination.
- Look for opportunities to apply for internships. It’s okay if an internship doesn’t pay or pays very little. Remember, you’ll be getting valuable experience. It also gives you an opportunity to test drive this career path and make sure it is something that you want to do.
Making a career decision that’s right for you is critical to your happiness. So take the time to focus on each step of the equation.
You owe it to yourself to be happy and succeed! Become that success story and be the kind of example other people can follow. Pick something that makes you happy at the end of the day.
Please reach out if you would like help figuring out your next career, happy to help!