I have to admit I struggle with this one at times. And, I don’t think I’m unique. During regular times it can be a challenge to not be negative. It is especially challenging during this pandemic. Try not to despair. It is more important than ever to maintain your perspective and know this too shall pass. We will get through this together. Once we are through these difficult times, these strategies will still help you through more regular challenges as well.
Use these strategies to maintain your perspective during this pandemic:
- Be grateful. Take a moment each morning before you start your day and think about what you’re grateful for. Even better, for those people you are grateful for, tell them. This alone makes it easier to maintain a more positive perspective.
- Realize what you have control over and what you don’t. As human beings, we like to feel we are in control. Because of that, we have a tendency to focus on the things we have no control over and that leads us down the path of negativity. Rather, focus on the things you do have control over, yourself and your outlook. It’s ok to have a pity party; you just don’t want to stay there. Put your energy into those things you can control and make changes there.
- Realize that the situation is temporary. You’ve had many challenging times in your life, but you’ve survived all of them. It’s often surprising how much a situation can change in just a couple of days, weeks, or months. Just hang on and you’ll come out on the other side before you know it.
- Help someone else. Helping others is an effective way to maintain a healthy perspective. Call your elderly neighbors to check on them. Think about the money you are saving staying at home, like gas or coffee money, to donate. Make it a fun activity with the family to come up with unique ways to help others during these difficult times. This helps change your perspective that things are not as bad as you thought or at a minimum provides a distraction.
- Ask for help. There’s no reason to face the world alone. There are many people in your life that would be happy to provide a helping hand. All you have to do is ask. Wouldn’t you help someone if asked?
It is more important than ever during this pandemic to make the time in your day to institute these strategies. Your perspective makes all the difference in how you see your life and situation. A negative outlook can make finding a solution much less likely. Use every tool at your disposal and keep your wits about you. These times will pass. Remember, when we get out of this pandemic, and we will, turn these strategies into an everyday habit.
I’m offering 30-minute coaching sessions for any business or leader to help get through this coronavirus pandemic at a deeply discounted price of $25 per session for the month of April 2020. Possible scenarios, the business/leader is struggling with figuring out how to operate in this new environment, what to do next, helping teams work remotely, or just talk. Please reach out if you need help during these difficult times.