Does attaining your goals seem harder than it should be? If you feel challenged to achieve your desires, you may be listening to those voices in your head that are telling you that you can’t get what you want.
It is important to remember, you are not unique in having those voices in your head telling you that you can’t do xyz. We all have those voices, some are internal, and some are external. Parents, teachers, you name it.
When this happens, we give our doubts/fear all our power and attention, rather than pushing through the fear and reaching our goals. In reality, it’s simply a delay tactic. So, how would you know if you were letting fear keep you from reaching your goals? Use these steps to help push through your fear to get what you want.
- Remove the word “But” from your vocabulary. We make a statement like, “I want to go on vacation this year, but I can’t afford it.” You just said no to yourself? “But” is a very powerful word and friend of the voices in your head. That is how fear can hold you back. Figure out a plan on how you can afford to go on vacation this year, as an example.
- What is the worst that could happen? In a lot of cases “no” is the worst that could happen. You won’t get hurt, well maybe your ego gets bruised a little. When you are told no, that is giving you information that this is not the right fit. It doesn’t mean it will never happen. Regroup and look elsewhere.
- Find a friend or colleague to support you. Having someone help you stay accountable, and listen to you when those voices are at their loudest, can help you step back and get a different viewpoint on the situation to push through the fear.
- Find a tactic that works for you to quiet those voices of doubt. Take 5 minutes of deep breathing to bring yourself back to the present. Step away and take a walk to clear your head. Figure out what works for you.
- Take your power back. Fear saps you of your power. You are giving it over to the voices in your head that are telling you that you are not good enough, you don’t have the experience, etc. You get the idea. Take back your power and go get what you want out of life.
Fear is normal. It is something we all experience. Remember you are not unique in having these feelings of fear. The issue is, fear can keep us paralyzed, and stuck. If you don’t push through the fear, you will not get what you want out of life. Don’t let the fear of the unknown keep you stuck. You have no idea what is happening tomorrow, much less later today. When those voices start talking in your head making negative assumptions, telling you “no”, find something that works for you to quiet them down and move on with your day.
Please reach out if you would like help keeping those voices quiet and pushing through the fear to get what you want, happy to help!